Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Cult of Pig Otherwise Known as Cochon

My head is still in a spin, what an inspiring dining experience!

We had reservations for 8pm and were seated promptly, next to two foodie friends that were already in the midst of their meal.(what luck!)Cochon was packed, it seemed all of Lafayette was there, which would normally make me feel nervous, but I felt strangely at home.

The restaurant itself is in a word, beautiful. I loved the open feel, the wood, the windows, the kitchen with the wood burning oven...AMAZING. Next time I dine there, and you can be guaranteed there will most certainly be a next time, I will take adavantage of the outdoor dining overlooking the Vermillion river.

Cochon's menu, I describe as upscale Cajun/Southern but regardless of what you call it, it's damn tasty. Everything is locally sourced which means it tastes better and is helping local economies. I won't get on my soap box about small local farming, but this is a very very good thing. If you are a cocktail lover you will not be disappointed by the drink menu. It's HUGE and much of it is again, local. I tried the Trotter Jennings and squealed when I saw CIDER on the menu! My dining companion and I got the woodgrilled oysters and the Boucherie plate as starters. I meant to take pictures but I gobbled it up before I remembered to. It was all yummy. We decided to split an entree, choosing the Crispy Duck leg with dirty rice. I'm sad (or proud?) to say, I made a loud "Oh My God" moan with the first bite of the duck. So damn good! We got the mac and cheese, eggplant casserole as well and finished with the Peanutbutter Pie. Again, all was amazing.

It has been a very long time since I have been at a restaurant for over two hours. I could have stayed all night. I love when complete strangers are so impressed with what they are eating that they will talk with you about the food. That's what happened with us and the tables around us. I have a few friends that are working there and they have said they have never been this excited to work anywhere before. This was the best dining expereince I have had in a very long time. I left feeling inspired. Thank you Cochon!

Overall, I would dine here once a week if my waist line and bank account would let me. For the two of us, the bill came in at around 100 bucks, including tip. I describe Cochon as a dining experince and not just shoveling food into your mouth. It was worth the money. I can't wait to dine their again and hope they have a very long life here in Cajun country. Cochon Lafayette on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment