Friday, June 29, 2012

La Pagua

The little strip mall off of Johnston street that houses Baskin Robbins has been a gold mine of culinary delights over the years. Guamas was there once upon a time as was an Italien Deli. In recent years it has become the home of the always yummy Noodle House and my favorite Mexican restaurant, La Pagua.

It's been open for a few years now and Lafayette has taken notice of this hidden gem. The restaurant is on the smaller side and is almost always packed. Don't let that discourage you, I've never had to wait for a table and there is always take out!

La Pagua has your normal mexican fare but goes above and beyond that. They also offer menudo(a tripe soup rumored to have hangover cure capabilites), beef tongue tacos, tortas(think mexican version of a po-boy) and breakfast on the weekend. However, the thing that keeps me going back is the glorious PAPUSA! This drool worthy thing is a corn meal dough stuffed with cheese and meat or beans. IT......It's heaven in my mouth. I fight the urge to walk over there everyday to get one.

The flour tortillas are hand made and my only complaint with La Pagua is their refried beans are a little too on the pureed side. I prefer my beans to be a little more mashed in consistency. A meal for two will run you about 30 bucks, but the portions are HUGE. Expect to get two meals out of it.



La Pagua on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment